Monday, March 12, 2012

Tegan's 2nd Blog Post


I really like the way the characterization is organized in this book. Since the book is written in third person, you never really know what emotions Matt is going through. I wish the author had kind of gave more hints as to what Matt looks like so that I would have had a better visual in my head of him while I was reading. The author only gives little hints of each character of their personalities. The author tells us about Matt’s hatred for Tom and also shows Tom’s ignorance and rudeness. The author has also shown Matt’s affection towards Maria.
Celia is a mother figure towards Matt as she is his care giver, but not his real mother and at the beginning of the book she got mad at Matt for calling her mama. However, Celia does care alot about Matt because when Matt was in prison Celia came for him and was worried sick about him. The thing I like about Celia is that she sees Matt and treats him as an actual human being and not as an animal. I picture Matt as tall, skinny, very tan since he lives somewhere near Mexico, brown eyes and messy ear length black hair. I also picture him not wearing shoes for some reason, and I think I do just because in my mind it seems to fit with the setting.
I find that in this book you learn alot about Matt’s traits from Tom because Tom is Matt’s foil and is almost the opposite of Matt. Tom brings out Matt’s anger and gives us a bit more information about Matt. Without Tom, we wouldn’t know very much about Matt.

2 comments:

  1. Why you think Celia never treats Matt like an animal? Do you believe it is just her lovely personality or that she has some reasoning and logic behind it? Think about Celia's past and history with illegal immigration and how she was brought up; would this have something to do with the way she treats others?

    ReplyDelete